I just don't understand them. I've tried; Mega64's podcasts, 2P Start!'s podcasts. They are all the same to me -- just really boring.
I understand why people do them. They are fun to do with friends, allows you to get your opinion out there, and it's really like blogging, only you're talking it out. It's like doing a radio show at Ashland University, really. You get on air, converse about various topics, and then spin a record. Talk radio is even like this; some hot topic is discussed, then they move on to other things. Perhaps the bigger question is why do people like to hear other people talk about stuff?
This is why I have a hard time listening to radio. I just don't care what the jockey has to say. I like the concept of radio, and, for some reason, I love being in a radio station environment. But driving somewhere, I just can't listen to the radio. A few stations at home have some particularly stupid shows, where usually two guys and one girl talk about things that are either sexual or big news-related. I have a friend who often listens to these shows and laughs with their jokes. It's kinda irritating, actually.
Let's pretend I didn't get off topic. What I want to say is if you have time to do a podcast, why not do a video podcast? Even then, though, I don't get vlogs just as much as I don't get podcasts.
Okay, my main point of contention is: Why does anyone give a shit about a 13 year old's review of some movie, or some jaded fan's opinion of their series new game? We seem to live in a world where people are too afraid to buy things or try things of their own accord. With all the different types of reviews out there, I think people have become accustomed to following someone else's opinion. I do admit that I read and/or watch reviews to learn about the product. More often than not, however, I usually only buy something as a result of a review if I didn't actually know anything about it before hand. Otherwise, I just gravitate towards what I know I can enjoy alone or with others.
Now, to clarify, I'm not a hipster. I realize the whole "I don't follow the crowd" possible argument in the previous paragraph makes me start to sound like I am. In fact, I was discussing the concept of "hipsters" this week with two friends. I only frown upon other people's reviews and opinions when they convince people what to do with their time or money. I always write my blogs with the hope that someone else will read them and then think about the topic or idea. I would never, ever want anyone who might read anything I have to say (all 0 of you) actually adopt my opinion as their own. I really believe in the "intelligence of the self, and growth from communion" concept; I'm just here to see where my opinion stands in the views of others.
I realize I went on for a while here, without a very clear topic. In totality, I just don't understand podcasts or reviews or talk radio, but that's okay. They are still successful without my contributions or following.
im going to comment on your blog! It'll look like you have followers.
ReplyDeleteBut also, white text on dark backgrounds are really hard on the eyes. Same reason I dislike Rajah. You read a long article and then you see lines for a while afterwards. Not that you should change it...