I went to a concert today. I specifically went for Jukebox the Ghost, who were opening for Hellogoodbye. It was awesome. All the bands were good, except for Hellogoodbye, who I only stayed for their first note. It's not that I didn't like them; there were a lot of factors behind leaving early.
I know that those who went with me are going to be sick of me talking about this, but I was amazed when I almost walked right into Jukebox's pianist (Ben). Those guys were all over the place all night, really just willing to talk to their fans. I couldn't believe it and it took me so long to work up the courage to just say "hello" to them. Sure enough, after their vendor gave me a free poster and a sharpie, I was approaching the guitarist (Tommy) when the drummer (Jesse) walked by and made eye contact with me. I almost threw up as he said "hello!" He was all down with signing the poster, and told me to wait for the Tommy to finish his game of Galaga. Of course, I probably shouldn't have pressured him, but it was fun watching him play a game I have a hard time not playing when I see an old cabinet. He was still happy to sign the poster. Later, I got Ben's signature and got to have a conversation with all of them.
I couldn't believe they were that laid back! It was such an awesome experience and I will admit that I will be at every one of their shows that I can. They are the coolest musicians I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot of my other favorites. They totally sold me on their future endeavors and I hope they are just like Metallica -- they won't quit making music.
Regardless, I implore any readers to never hold yourself back when it comes to meeting the people you "idolize" (for lack of better words). These guys were the greatest and I have such an awesome experience to share, that it was worth all the nerve I had to put into talking to these guys. I totally sound like such a nerd, as I'm talking about something as simple as meeting 20-something year old guys who just like to make music. To me, though, this is like a metal fan meeting Ozzy Osbourne or a pop fan meeting Lady Gaga, on a much smaller scale.
This post didn't have much substance, but, man, at 1 in the morning, I have to share that story with someone!
No comments:
Post a Comment