Friday, February 4, 2011

Gaits; A Commonly Unthinkable Memorization

That title does not explain this post very well.

Have you ever looked across campus (or somewhere vast) and seen someone walking in the distance, only to instantly recognize them for some reason? You may recognize them through their gait, or style of strutting, and say something about it. Seriously, think about that though. Do you ever openly acknowledge someone's gait, in memorization form? Do you ever think, "That's what their stride looks like. It is different."? I'm, of course, speaking when you are in an every day situation, not necessarily trying to figure out if you know that person.

I know this post is completely different from the others I've made, but this concept is something that isn't a common topic. Gaits, surprisingly, aren't juicy gossip. It's amazing, in all honesty, the amount of information the human brain soaks up, just from observation. I have a friend who walks very smoothly, but with his chest stuck out. It's a combination of perfect posture with a hint of badass-ness and unusual enough to make you do a double take. I have another friend who walks with a pop in his one step, and his arms held out stiffly. Another friend of mine always walks like he has a backpack on, even when he doesn't. Which reminds me of my brother, for some reason.

Which brings me to another point; have you ever openly thought about your own gait as you walk somewhere? Usually it makes people uncomfortable to do so, and they tend to try to forcibly change their movement to something "cooler." However, in the end, it usually makes you look uncomfortable.

I've been on this topic for a while during this past school year. Every time I walk out of my dorm, you can pretty much instantly tell the mood I'm in--I have an emotive gait, because I'm often thinking about it when I'm alone. When I'm listening to music and walking, I'm loose. When I'm busy and in a rush, I have a bit of a pop and step to each movement. When I'm feeling like a badass, I have great posture and have very smooth movements. When I'm angry, it's similar to that, but much more rigid and my arms are flexed.

I think perhaps I spend a lot of time thinking. I really like that about myself, that I'm able to take myself out of my body and observe myself and those around me. It gives me a good resource to pull from when filming, writing, and creating.

If I could just draw, I'd be the best person in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment