Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Internet Interests

There is one thing I like the most about the internet: the sheer amount of creativeness compiled into a navigable channel of murky waters. What I mean by this is that there is a lot of stuff that holds no interest to me and that there is a great over-saturation of ideas as a result. This might turn some people off, but I find it kind of interesting. What does it say about a person who buys a webpage, and creates a terrible page dedicated to explaining the subtle nuances of the humor behind "The Goonies"? That they felt their information they had inside them was important enough to share with the world.

This is why a project such as Wikipedia is a phenomenal idea. Granted, opinion should be left out, but think about the possibilities! A massive website, where all you have to do is type is "giraffes," hit enter, and find out a trillion facts about the long necked bastards, straight from people who study them all day long! I understand how one-sided what I just said is, but the community surrounding Wikipedia is ridiculously dedicated to truth and unbiased information.

So, this brings me to my next point; why is Wikipedia not respected as an educated resource? Most every article has reference footnotes and each page is checked over by several people after each minute update. I don't think it has to do with the "possibility of false information" on the site anymore. I think people are just afraid of what it means. Books are becoming something totally forgotten about. I know this, because it's my generation that is doing it. I'm guilty of it. I used to read books and I loved fictional classics and nonfictional accounts of various psychopaths and shootings around the world (that sounds really bad, doesn't it?). Since then, I quit reading. It's been 2 years since I got through a full book. It's not something I'm proud of, however, it's something that's happened.

The point is, yes, I agree that there is no better research than the one you do with a real, physical book. There will be a day, however, when the internet, as well as Wikipedia, becomes understood as a "good source of knowledge". The day when it is okay to have more internet sources than book sources on a paper for a class that doesn't even relate to your major or minor.

I suppose this problem I have relates back to the generational mindset of "we want to be recognized for something other than all the responsibilities we shirk," but I stand behind my opinion here. Wikipedia can be a respected encyclopedia because every idiot can get on their computer and edit it. Just remember that there will be a lesser idiot right behind him to clean up his mess and make things right.

I wouldn't fight for the right to use Wikipedia for a source on a paper while still in school, because that's dumb, but I know that one day will come when I can say "I read up on all my dumb trivia about Ryan Seacrest and polar bears while listening to The Flaming Lips" and someone out there will shake my hand for it.

--B

No comments:

Post a Comment